Sunday writing chat prompts for 9 Jan 2022

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 9 Jan 2022

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: concrete, performer, soil, mild, father. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “with raisins in it.” (10 min)

3. Write about not knowing the day of the week. (10 min)

Sue
      Participant

I knew he was here before he rounded the corner with Eli. Trent’s name had been mentioned in an email and I may have accidentally lingered by the reception desk near their arrival time to confirm it was him before I had to talk to him face to face. Forewarned is forearmed.
      I chickened out as they approached. I’d heard them come down the halls so I pretended not to notice their presence until Eli spoke and then I focused on him, not ready to acknowledge the reason I fled across the country. Trent
      His name had sunk to the pit of my stomach like the concrete poured at our job sites. I was no performer, so I kept my eyes averted until I was sure I could school my features into a pleasant smile and great and ‘old friend’.
      Yes, an old friend with whom you’re intimately familiar… too put it mildly.
      I dug my fingers into the arms of my computer chair so hard the cushion gave way like soft soil, at least until I hit the metal bar holding it in place. Oh sweet Father Almighty, he looked good.”
      Despite it being almost twenty years since I’d seen him, he was as familiar to me as if I left his bed this morning. A little older, silver threatening the dark hair at his temples and a deep furrow between his eyes that made my fingers itch to sooth away as I used to.
      Old doubts peppered me with their poison darts. How would he view me after all this time?
      I felt like a wrinkled up raisin compared to my former self. I’d always been bigger, wearing large when my friends all wore small. Now I was bigger, older and thought I was more confident, until I saw him.
      My reaction shocked me, the reason we broke up had nothing to do with me, except for the fact that I hadn’t been the one to be able to overcome his issues. I hadn’t been ‘the one’.
      I knew that going in, his ex, she was the one who ruined him for anyone else.
      The conversation moved on and we all introduced ourselves to Trent.
      Gratefully, he kept our history to himself. He just nodded and gave me a smile when I introduced myself. His eyes holding mine for only a second or two longer than necessary.
      Long enough for me to feel the tension of unresolved feelings between us right down to my toes. Long enough for me to get lost in him so far I no longer knew what day of the week this was.
      “Fuu…dge.” I tore my gaze away. It was only Monday and he’d be here all week. If that’s how I reacted to him now, I was going to be in real trouble by the time the week ended.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.