Sunday writing chat prompts for 8 Jan 2023

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 8 Jan 2023

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: tile, cable, skate, doubt, fence. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “stay tuned.” (10 min)

3. Write about misusing a map. (10 min)

Broker
      Participant

Uge’s contribution:

Without a doubt he was a liar. How long had it taken for her to realise this. She couldn’t believe it had been over 10 years. So he had gone. She always wondered how she managed to fence off the questions, the looks of disbelief when she had, not by choice had to answer their questions with cut throat honesty.

So how is Aitch? Are you both coming to Stevie’s birthday party? What about you and Aitch coming for a round of tennis tomorrow.

Fancy taking the kids to the skate park on Saturday? Aitch can come if he likes

His tennis buddy had even come to the house last week, knocked on the door last week and asked

“Where’s Aitch? Haven’t seen him for a while. Is he up for tennis at Cable Park?”

Aitch is in Jamaica. He is with his ex. He packs tiles in a local store. He is back with his baby Mother. He is out of our lives and I’m so happy.

Stay tuned girl. I had ignored my inner voice. So okay, shouting matches, I always lost those as the intensity of his screams would rattle and shake my body as well as the window frames. Aitch, sitting by his desk everyday , typing into his computer reams and reams of words. Words exchanged with his Mother, long distance, they had to finish their book – Drax was a philanderer, didn’t you know that Jin? You need to read our books. Aitch tell Jin she needs to read our books She needs to know about Drax. Every Jamaican knows about that slave owner. What the hell did you marry her for if she doesn’t have the decency to even read our books?

Their tortuous phone conversations would go on through the night. Aitch, plates of left over food piled up on his desk. I would collect them or complain at him to remove them. And then the job. I was definitely not in tune. The job that he would find he never did.

He looked at the map on his phone. The thread like red that wriggled in between the underground station , Solley Parks, Giles church and Cable Park, it was all familiar to Aitch. He was half-way there. Not long before he would arrive at Cable Park. He hadn’t been back to England for 5 years but he wanted to pick up the package, see the children. It had been a long time and he missed them. He gazed out of the window, the train was rushing past Keeley station. His was the next stop. As the tube squealed to a stop and the doors slid open. Aitch rushed out to the platform.. Smiling happily. He came out to the exit. A message appeared on his phone.

All Google maps apps are down. There is no service on google. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.