Sunday writing chat prompts for 6 Dec 2020

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 6 Dec 2020

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: recover, loose, arrange, absence, investigation. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “I don’t do that any more.” (10 min)

3. Write about using something that’s not quite ready. (10 min)

Sue
      Participant

Makail was beside me before they finished unloading Jared from the ambulance. He handed me my purse which I’d forgotten in his car in my haste to get to my husband. With Jared’s Dementia, there was no telling how he’d react to the pain and the chaos of the ambulance and emergency room.

They let him come with me as I followed the gurney. I vague statement of ‘family’ was enough under the circumstances. Half an hour later after x-rays the doctor came to tell me that Jared had a broken leg and a sprained wrist. All things considered; we were very lucky. Had Jared been a few steps higher when he lost his balance, he could have broken his hip or shoulder. As it was, during his fall, he knocked the temporary door from its frame. It helped to break his fall but not without inflicting several additional bruises. It was going to be a long time before he would fully recover.

The doctor was cordial and asked me again how the accident happened.

“Jared was napping so I took the opportunity to take some things back upstairs. I moved us to the ground floor of our house six months ago and I use the living upstairs for storage since the living space is so much smaller. I didn’t get an alert that Jared was moving.” I could see the doctor looked confused. I have motion detectors set up to warn me.” I sighed. “I had my hands full when I went up the stairs so I didn’t pull the door closed behind me. Jared must have woken up and noticed my absence and come looking for me.”

The doctor nodded. “And where were you?” he asked Mikail.

Mikail said. “I was out in the yard. I heard Viv screaming.”

The doctor added that to his notes. “As in most cases like this, there will be an investigation. A constable will call you to arrange a home visit along with Occupational Therapists to evaluate the home.”

I nodded. “I’ve had the PT in a few times as Jared’s declined. They know our house well as I worked with them to do the renovations when I moved our living space downstairs.”

The doctor made another note. “That will work in your favour.”

“I know.” I said. “Originally, I was planning to have Jared in a place with full time care by now but with Covid, I’m not doing that anymore. I’m trying to keep him home. I’ve been working closely with Fraser Health to keep him healthy.” At his raised eyebrow I amended. “Looks like I’m going to have to fill in some unforeseen gaps.”

“When I fix the door, I’ll install a spring closure so it will automatically close behind you.” Mikail piped up. “It’s a simple enough fix and will eliminate the temptation of an open door next time Jared decided to go exploring on his own.” He turned to the doctor. “How long to you expect Jared to be in hospital? I’ll have it ready before he’s discharged.”

“And you are?” the doctor asked.

“I’m a family friend.”

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Sue.
      Kes
      Participant

Meggie asked, “Do you ever go swimming at the community center?”
      Sarah said, “I used to, but I don’t do that any more.”
      “Why not?” Maggie asked.
      “I’m just not interested any more.” There were some mean boys who had made fun of Sarah, but she wasn’t sure she wanted to admit that she was avoiding something she still enjoyed because some people had made her feel bad. “I’m learning to crochet now!” she said, to change the subject. “My Grandma is teaching me, and I’m making a cool blanket.”
      “I prefer warm blankets myself,” said Maggie, being Maggie.
      They both dissolved into giggles.

Sarah was only three-quarters of the way finished with the blanket she was crocheting, but she was chilly so she pulled it over her, being careful not to pull out the working end of the yarn.

Kes
      Participant

testing??

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.