Sunday writing chat prompts for 3 July 2022

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 3 July 2022

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: harm, morale, joint, cheese, episode. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “It seems harmless.” (10 min)

3. Write about cancelling an event. (10 min)

Broker
      Participant

Eck walked with Joey up the hill towards the campus. “I’ll avoid asking where you live because I don’t want to seem like a creep,” said Eck. “But I’ll walk with you until you’re safe.”

Joey stopped and turned to face Eck. “You are about the uncreepiest person I’ve ever met. Possibly excepting Olivia and Josh, but I just met them.”

“You just met me, like an hour before,” Eck pointed out. “I get that, though, about Josh and Olivia. Though I don’t ever want to be on the business end of Olivia’s attention, whatever it is she’s doing.”

“Still, the joint episode improved the old morale, didn’t it?” said Joey.

Eck snorted. “I think that’s what you call a double date. I’ve heard about them in legends, but I figured they were mythical beasts.”

“No actual paradigms were harmed in the making of this meme,” said Joey. “We’re here. You can watch until the door locks behind me if you want.”

“Before… I… uh…” Josh stammered.

“You want a kiss? On the first (double) date?” Joey asked, grinning.

“Um, I guess? But I wanted a selfie, too, of the both of us, together,” said Eck. “To remember coming out, meeting random queer people in a restaurant, and meeting you.”

“Awww,” said Joey. “That seems harmless. It’s been a good evening and I’m happy to know you.”

The apartment building had a bar on the ground floor, so they flagged down somebody who was inbound and so likely to be able to operate a phone camera, and posed snuggled up together, Joey’s hand through Eck’s elbow. “Say cheese,” the guy said.

Eck watched Joey go in, and stood for a moment wondering about going into the bar for another beer. “This, right here, is the perfect end to a wonderful Friday night.”

“What?” said their photographer, who hadn’t moved on yet.

“Just thinking out loud.”

“She seems to be into you. I’m Larry, by the way.”

“Call me Eck. Thanks for the picture.” Eck held up the phone before putting it away. Letting the pronoun pass seemed the better part of valor, or maybe just in line with the mood. Eck put hands in pockets, and trudged home, in the usual head down posture.

There’s a lot the Larrys of the world didn’t need to know. But then there’s a lot that Eck needed to be, needed to act out, needed to become, and Larry did not get a veto on any of it. And there is a lot that Joey needed to be, though it seemed they were getting the hang of getting on with their life in a way Eck could only dimly imagine.

Eck’s dreams were pleasant enough. The phone on the charger in the corner had Joey’s info in it, so they could get together again on purpose sometime. Chance meetings are great and all, but it’s unlikely to happen to the same two people again anytime soon.

Over coffee in the morning, Eck wished for a larger view than the parking lot of the apartment building. It seemed a time for staring into the middle distance and musing, processing what had changed, what had happened, on Friday night. The campus had lots of green space, so Eck set out on a random walk. At some point the smell of bacon wafting downwind from the cafeteria in the student union seemed attractive, so the walk was derandomized in its general direction. “Follow your nose,” said Eck, and mused about collapsing wave functions they’d been taught in a quantum physics class. They’d learned just enough to be dangerous, for biochemists.

The phone also knew Ann’s digits, so after figuring out it was mid-morning already, Eck dialed.

Sue
      Participant

A woman in love?
      Did Abby love me?
      I questioned this concept all the way to my truck. Instead of going home, I decided to drive around while I pondered the situation.

She said she’d been watching me as much as I’d watched her over the past few years. We’d only seen each other once every few months and often that was from across the room or a quick conversation under watchful eyes, if we were at the same event. Then she got sick and had to quarantine herself as her health declined.

It was like a bad episode of a romantic comedy without the romance or the comedy.

Still, we’d had several conversations as I waited for my DNA results and today was incredible. The drive back to Moncton not so much but the drive down to Saint John was the first time we’d ever been alone together. I felt so comfortable with her, it was as if we’d been friends all along.

Hearing her tell her brother she cared about me, gave weight to the idea that my interest wasn’t all one-sided. Quite the morale booster in my quest to make her mine. And yes, after spending the day with her, I have no doubt that I want to make her mine. I just hope Cameron doesn’t get in the way and harm our chances.

Although, it seems we have help.
      Becca is doing her part in our joint effort to get us together. During our drive, Abby told me about the cheesy lines Becca had been teasing her with since the night Darryl and I went over to talk about what I’d do if I found my sister. It seemed harmless, and if it helped, that would be even better.

I’m so tired of people telling me that I can’t date Abby when she clearly is interested in me.

Dr. Mason said, “A woman in love.”

I don’t know if it’s love yet, but it feels like it could be.

It was late by the time I finally pulled into my yard and realized that getting Abby to the hospital and her brother’s negative reaction to our involvement had completely eclipsed meeting my half sister and my father.

As tempting as it was to call in sick to work the next day, I knew it wouldn’t look good on my record. Not if I hoped to be promoted to detective.
      I went to bed as soon as I got into the house. Despite my efforts, sleep refused to come.

After over three decades, I finally met my father. He was every bit as great as Mom remembered him to be. My sister was everything I was hoping she would be. And Abby was there for it all.

Abby.

She was my last thought as slumber finally claimed me.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.