Sunday writing chat prompts for 2 Oct 2022

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 2 Oct 2022

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: present, pound, bench, unique, lip. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “Don’t use that, it’s broken.” (10 min)

3. Write about a storm warning. (10 min)

Broker
      Participant

“So I worry, sometimes,” said Bill.

“About which card to discard?” said Ann. “Or…”

“Well, both,” said Bill. “It’s my turn, isn’t it?” He contemplated his hand for a long moment, picked out a six of spades to give Ravyn, and placed it on the pile.

“Yesss!” hissed Ravyn, producing several matching sixes from her hand and laying them on the table. She proceeded to pick up the rest of the discard pile and sort through it. “What a bunch of junk!” she muttered. “Please continue with your story while I…” She waved a fistful of cards.

“Well, so my friend Harvey. I meet him in town here once a week. Sometimes there’s another old geezer or two present, and we talk about whatever book we’re reading. He’s thoughtful and erudite and… oddly willing to spout the party line. Or what I take to be the party line; I don’t listen to it myself.”

“Yeah,” said Annie, shuddering. “I can’t pay attention to that for long.”

“Exactly. And I worry that something I say, anything I might say, would eventually clue him in that there are a bunch of deviants over here, including me,” said Bill. “And he’s civil enough but it puts him in a spot of trying to be discreet about it.”

“And he doesn’t have experience being in the closet himself, I take it,” said Ravyn.

“Exactly so,” said Bill. “The younger kids with the lip? They’d pound me, us, even innocent bystanders, to a pulp, is what I’m afraid of.”

Ravyn laid down several sets of matching cards she’d drawn, and found something to discard for Annie. “We have a security force, but…”

“But,” said Annie. She drew from the face-down pile of cards on the table, muttered briefly, and discarded.

“But maybe we should recruit the Radical Fairies or somebody, to like wait on the bench inside the gate with their glitter cannons.”

Bill and Annie laughed together.

“Have you ever tried to sweep glitter off of asphalt streets?” Ann asked Ravyn.

“Uh, no,” said Ravyn. “But I can imagine it gets into all the little cracks and stuff. On their cars, too.”

“So they can drive back to wherever they came from and explain to their friends why their big honking trucks are covered in sparkles,” said Bill. “I loooove the way you think.”

“It’s like, don’t use my truck, it’s broken, or whatever, until they can get it washed,” said Ravyn.

“Duh duh duh unique… It’s only you and a PhD from Chesapeake,” Ann sang. “I don’t remember the rest of the song,” she added.

“I’m sure Renee is thankful that I’m unique,” Ravyn was saying as Renee came through the door.

“I am,” said Renee, who was looking rumpled and disheveled in a self-satisfied way.

“Good visit?” said Ravyn.

Renee just looked scorn at her sister.

“I’ll take that for a yes,” Ravyn laughed.

“Your cards all look like little valentines!” said Renee, with a guffaw, and she went into the bedroom to rearrange herself.

“Nuh-uh!” Ravyn called after her.

“Sounds like a terrible Canasta hand,” said Bill, with a grin.

“It is that,” Ravyn admitted. “But I’m thinking maybe we should make your concerns known to the administration here,” she added, looking at Bill. “Just as a kind of a storm warning.”

“I’m concerned about who has the rest of the eights,” said Bill, pulling on one of his ears. He laid down three eights on the table, and discarded another one.

“I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a glitter cannon this far out in suburbia?” said Ann.

“Did somebody mention glitter?” Renee wanted to know, returning from a quick change of clothes and hairstyle. “There was a party not too long after Eric and I moved in here that led to at least a temporary ban on glitter on the premises. It’s too hard for the housekeeping folks to get out of the carpets.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.