Sunday writing chat prompts for 19 Sept 2021

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 19 Sept 2021

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Sue.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: breeze, salon, administration, remain, condition. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “Open it up.” (10 min)

3. Write about an automation failure. (10 min)

Sue
      Participant

“She works in a salon and I’m sure even though her friend is the owner, they’ve got to be growing tired of my ex always forcing her to rearrange the appointment schedules.”

“I run the administration office at Haythen Construction.” I told him. “If any of the staff came in drunk or called in because of a self-induced condition, they’d be out the door. She may be only cutting hair, but she’s using sharp scissors close to patrons’ eyes. To keep everyone safe, she shouldn’t be allowed to remain.”

“Yeah, you’d think it would be a breeze to get rid of her. But she’s tenacious.” He sighed. “I’ve been planning my exit strategy for almost a year, and I’m still worried it will go awry. I’ve opened up a huge can of worms.”

“Open it up. Open it way up and get all the poison out.” I advised him. “Trying to hold in a toxic mess just hurts yourself.” I sighed. “Sadly, I have more personal experience with this that I ever wanted.”

“My head knows this.” I heard him take another gulp. “I’m in the calm before the storm and I’ve been procrastinating instigating the storm until I had no other choice.” He let out a breath, “tomorrow is go-time.”

The phone was silent for a few seconds. I couldn’t think of anything to say.
      “Enough about my tale of woe. What have you been up to? You said something about managing a construction office?”

“Yes. I started working at Haythen Construction just after we broke up. It was a small office back then and there was just one other woman and I responsible for the entire accounting department. The company has grown so much I have four women under me.”

“That’s impressive.”

“It was until my back decided no to work properly last week. Now even that basic motion that was so automatic and I took for granted, doesn’t work anymore. Just standing up from my chair takes almost a full minute and I haven’t slept in my bed since that first morning. If I lay down, I won’t be able to get back up, at least without help.”

“Where are you sleeping?” Concern laced his voice.

“I cuddle up with my heating pad and sleep in my recliner.”

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Sue.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.