Sunday writing chat prompts for 18 Jul 2021

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 18 Jul 2021

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: cylinder, fairy, straight, temperature, warm. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “As far away as possible.” (10 min)

3. Write about a large animal. (10 min)

Broker
      Participant

Gin was waiting by the lift when Jun got off shift. “How are you doing?” she asked.

“It’s hard remembering what normal is supposed to look like,” said Jun.

“I hear ya,” said Gin. When the lift door closed, she pressed the button for Deck Zero. Their pod was on Deck One. “Buy you a drink?”

“Twist my arm?” Jun said, offering her arm.

When the lift door opened, Gin grabbed the arm and sort of levered Jun out into the bar that was the innermost cylinder, along the axis of rotation, in the land where there was essentially no centrifugal gravity, but coriolis forces ruled, unless you could wrap your head around the fact that everything was rotating.

Jun tried this for a while. “I really can’t think straight,” she said, accepting a bulb of whatever cocktail Gin and the bartender had come up with. “How did it go, in Peter Pan? Third star on the left, straight on til morning? Was there something in there about a fairy?”

“We’re hoping to end up on Mars, not in Neverland,” said Gin.

“I’m sure we’d have a bunch of grumpy passengers if they had to stay on board for another couple years,” said Jun. “I should look up my friend the cruise director and see how they’re doing.”

“I gather they always start getting grumpy about month four or so,” said Gin. “Though Environmentals got the temperature regulation fixed, so at least it’s warm now. One less thing to grump about.”

“Sandy has some stories that’ll curl your hair,” said Jun. “Some of them might even curl my hair.” Jun shook the braid out, and let her hair stand out in all directions from her head.

Gin stared. She tried to sip her drink but the bulb missed her mouth.

Jun giggled at her pod-mate.

Who seemed even more fascinated by the waves in Jun’s hair.

“You ladies want another?” the bartender asked.

Something about turning to look that direction flipped Jun sideways, body at right angles, more or less, to her companion’s.

“I’m… rapt,” said Gin, staring at her hair. “The waves just…”

“You can wash it if you want,” said Jun. “The static makes the whole mane stiffer, trying to be as far away from itself as possible. I wonder how long the reservation queue is for time in the normG bathroom together.”

“Systems Engineering at your service,” said Gin.

Jun watched her eyes twitching as she worked through menus in her head-bug. “Probably…”

“…want it just after we wake up, yeah,” said Gin. “Score! Tomorrow!”

“Can’t wait,” said Jun.

“Can I, like…” said Gin.

Jun smiled.

“Play with it?” said Gin.

Jun kept smiling. “Just my hair? Or…”

“We’ll start with that,” said Gin.

“We should get a room,” said Jun.

“We have a room,” Gin pointed out. “Our pod is, like, right through…” she paused to get her bearings. “That wall,” she pointed at the far side of the room, where two other crew members where pressed up against the wall where there was a tiny bit of gravity.

“And we can think about them, right above our ceiling,” said Jun.

“Sold,” said Gin. She squeezed the last of her drink into her mouth, returned the containers, and hurled Jun into the ladderway. They had done similar things often enough that they both knew the point was to be there first, and open the hatch for the later arrival.

“It’s sort of like being a dolphin or something, swimming around the passageway like that,” said Gin.

“You took the easy way around,” said Jun. “But I can run just fast enough in point-two-grav to win.”

“Applied physics,” said Gin. “Who knew it could be this much fun?”

“Batten down the hatch first,” said Jun.

Sue
      Participant

After I left the donor’s hospital room, I paced around the courtyard. I was too incensed to go straight back to my sister.

How did this happen?

How did that woman finagle herself into being a living donor for my sister?
      What was the play?

DId she think I would be forever in her debt for saving my sister’s life?
      How did Abby’s father even find her and convince her to have major surgery, just to advance one of his schemes?

Was she stupid?

That thought brought me up short. The temperature of my fury cooled to match the warmth of the spring day instead of the fires of hell.

My pacing slowed until my brain was firing on all cylinders again. I needed answers from Abby. I needed to know what fairy tales this woman told her.

Abby looked apprehensive when I walked back into her room. “How is Becca?”

“Who?”

“My half sister, the woman who gave me half of her kidney.” Abby’s voice changed from contrite to exasperated. “The woman who uprooted her life to save mine.”

“You mean the bitch that your father sent to worm his way back into your good graces?”

“Dad has nothing to do with Becca. I found her though DNA analyse.” She threw up her hands. “Dad is Becca’s father, but she never knew him. Her mom kicked him out when she was a toddler and her grandfather made sure he stayed as far away as possible.”

“Your father called to tell me he had a surprise and she showed up at the door a few minutes later.”

“I was supposed to be there when she arrived but ended up here instead. I didn’t want to tell you about her until she was on our doorstep. She was a miracle and I didn’t want to jinx it.”

“So how did your dad know?”

“I slipped and told him about her just after she agreed to be tested to see if she was a match.” Abby’s face grew thunderous. “He knew she was coming, and he used her to get back at you for cutting him off. Willfully putting my life in danger in the process.”

I was having trouble keeping up. “Becca is your sister? She’s not a game piece your father is manipulating?”

“No, I would have told you, but you freaked out about her and then we got interrupted. I figured if you knew she was my donor you’d be forced to revise your opinion.”

“Instead I said some horrible things to her.”

“Cameron, you didn’t.” Abby fell back into the pillows on her hospital bed. “You have to fix it. She’s supposed to recover at our house with me. I want to get to know my sister.” She moaned when she tried to sit up again.

I started to help her and she waved me away. “Go. Fix This.” she pointed at the door. “I don’t want to see you again until Becca has forgiven you for being a huge donkey butt.”

• This reply was modified 5 days, 14 hours ago by Sue.
      Kes
      Participant

The sun was shining down and warming the world. The air temperature was getting hot already, but the water was still cool. Water always takes longer to warm up. [children’s book that teaches kids about the natural world while telling a story?]

The beads of dew on the spiderwebs sparkled in the morning light, and made it look like a fairy….something.

A couple of camels were grazing on the grasses, while a third camel was browsing on the leaves of a tall shrub.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.