Sunday writing chat prompts for 18 Dec 2022

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 18 Dec 2022

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sue
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

Use the following five words: Glass, lamp, phone, cable, wrapper. (10 min)

Use the phrase, “It’s my favourite holiday tradition.” (10 min)

Write about write about unsportsmanlike behaviour. (10 min)

Sue
      Participant

It didn’t take us long to get back to my clinic. Even though the sessions were done for the day, Kathy stayed behind to see if we’d had any success.

Her shoulders visibly relaxed when she saw Krista climb out of the back seat of Jon’s car. “Oh, thank goodness you’re back.” She pointed to Jon and I. “The boys and I were going crazy with worry.”

Krista eyed me before turning her attention back to Kathy. “I was a little worried there myself. My mother is definitely losing her grip on reality.”

“I’ll say.” Jon added. “She destroyed your phone.”

“Not on purpose.” Krista told us as we entered the conference room where Kathy had set out the food that arrived while we were out on our rescue mission. There wasn’t enough space for all of us in my office. “She freaked out about something and swept the groceries I was putting away onto the floor and then freaked out over the mess. My phone was an unexpected casualty in the melee. The screen cracked and milk seeped in through the edges of the glass.” She sighed. “I hid it in a towel and then put it in a container of rice overnight, but I think the phone is toast.”

Before I sat down to eat with the rest of the group, I double checked that the front door to the clinic was locked. Then I brought in a lamp from my office and set it up in the centre of the boardroom table, plugging the power cable into the outlet imbedded in the centre of the table, and then clicked off the overhead lights. “If your mother comes this way to find you, I don’t want the bright lights to make it obvious we’re here.”

Krista laughed as she undid the wrapper covering her plate. “That used to be one of my favourite holiday traditions when our two families got together in the summer. You, Ted, Theo, and I would all hide from our parents when it was time to go home.”

“Well, this time, we’re not letting you go back there. It’s not safe.”

“Whodathunk, I’d be almost fifty and still dodging curfew.” Krista’s laugh was bitter.

“Curfew, isn’t the word I’d use.” Jon said. “She’s bordering on imprisonment.”

Kathy’s expression wavered between shocked at what she was hearing and sorrow for Krista. “I can’t imagine how you’re still standing after everything you’ve gone through. Not just in the past twenty-four hours, but the crap your mom put you and your brother through when you were kids.”

“When I was a kid, I really didn’t know any different. Theo did after meeting Ted and Joel and their family. Dad was great, but he was at work all day and he didn’t see what happened when he wasn’t in the room.”

“At least he tried to make it right. He just died before he could.”

“Leaving my mother with full reign over my life and if I didn’t play ball the way she wanted, then she’d call a foul and threaten Theo’s care as a penalty if I didn’t get back in line.”

“Definitely not sportsman-like behaviour.” I said.

“Not even decent human behaviour.” Jon added. “Although, with what we now know, her reign of terror is almost over.”

Sue
      Participant

Ude’s Contribution

“Wrap it around the cable. Be careful it might not stick and if it falls off you’ll have a problem.”

I followed Adanu’s instruction wondering why on earth I was wrapping the skins and fixing them so tightly on this electrical lead.

“You will understand where this is going once all the skins are attached and the electrical circuit has been created”, she assured me.

There were various skin colours to choose from. I settled for a dark brown woody coloured skin tone resembling my own. The arm was almost complete, dangling like a thin rat’s tail, no hands. It was dark in the lab. As if reading my mind Dr Adanu fetched the gold- coloured lamp with the heavy base, from her desk, switched it on at the side and pointed the halogen powered beam of light at the skins.

The glass cylinder was filled with a dark red liquid, not wine I thought smiling slightly. I attached the arm to it’s body. Then worked slowly, wrapping a thin layer of skin around the second lead. The phone buzzed and showed a missed call.

“The legs are very straight forward. The same principal applies”, Adanu continued smoothly. “You have more than enough skins to apply a thicker more muscular looking layer around the robot’s more sturdier and bulkier legs. This robot will move by gliding along a surface rather than by the use of footsteps like a human moves.

Dr Adanu was in her element. Her voice rose slightly as she addressed the students.

“It’s my favourite holiday tradition”

“What? Creating creepy looking robots” A student shouted. His voice resounding from the back arena,

“No replied Dr Adanu, laughing.

“ Drinking this liquid from this glass cylinder”.

Dr Adanu gulped the blood in one swig.

Tens of student’s eyes fixed on her face with horror.

Dr Adanu smiled.

“There are many things, many challenges that we Doctors have to perform in the name of Science. We cannot be fearful. We have to embrace the unknown. This is something very new. Creating a robot filled with human blood. That makes this robot part of us.”

I was aware of what seemed like hundreds of naive eyes fixed in my direction. As I was a final year student and there weren’t many of us studying Human Robotics, it made sense for me to have been chosen as the lead student to give this public demonstration to the First Yearer’s.

I had the glass cylinder in my hand. Dr Adanu had rigged a blood transfusion area, on stage and was extracting blood from her colleague Dr Rasmus. His blood was oozing into a cylindrical glass contraption that dribbled into a number of glass cylinders. These glass cylinders would soon be ready for collection and transportation into the Robot arms that flailed from their squarish metal bodies.

I stopped filtering the red liquid into the glass cylinder.

“I’ve had enough!” I shouted.

“That’s very unsportsmanlike” Dr Adanu said her eyes glared at me.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.