Sunday writing chat prompts for 18 Apr 2021

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 18 Apr 2021

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: claim, velvet, acquit, argument, loose. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “It’s better not to ask.” (10 min)

3. Write about a moth drawn to a flame. (10 min)

Sue
      Participant

I walked out of the office with Billie and waited as she locked the front door. She was set up in a nicer part of town and probably didn’t need me to walk her to her car, but my mother raised me to be a gentleman. Probably why I’m in this mess to begin with. Even now, I still can’t play fast and loose with being mannerly.

Billie put her hand on my arm. “This is me.” she indicated a sensible grey sedan. “Don’t worry Cash, We’ll get you sorted out.”

“Thank you Billie.” I ran my fingers through my hair again. Honestly, I don’t know how I have any left after the way I’ve been tugging at it over the past two months. “Let me know what else you need from me.”

I watched her get into her car and drive away. Hoping her claim was true. I’m in way over my head and it will be a miracle to make it through to the other side with my new business still intact. At this point, I’ve already given up on my personal finances. They were a lost cause.

Even though they acquitted Vanessa of any wrongdoing, she still screwed me over. No matter what my lawyer’s argument was, the facts remained. I’d earned and invested that money during our marriage, which meant it entitled her to half. It didn’t matter that she spent money without my knowledge, draping herself in velvet and enough crap that it was better not to ask for an itemized list because it would just make me cry. I gave her a good life, but it wasn’t enough. She wanted everything and now that it was over, I needed some like Billie to save my hide.

It grated my nerves on so many levels. Especially since Leah failed to mention that Billie wasn’t a man. Had I known her friend in financial services was the red-headed bombshell I’d just met, I would have run fast in the other direction.

Her look of sympathy just about did me in.

The chilly night air brought me back to the present. Like a moth to a flame my thoughts spiraled back to the dumpster fire my life had become. I climbed into my truck and cranked the heat. It was already October. I had five months to survive and get myself straightened away before the busy season started.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.