Sunday writing chat prompts for 11 Sept 2022

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 11 Sept 2022

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: allow, restrain, main, splurge, valid. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “That’s revolutionary.” (10 min)

3. Write about translation problems. (10 min)

Broker
      Participant

“Ann, it’s Josh,” said the phone. “I’m glad you picked up. I tried calling Eck and Joey.”

“You folks kind of dropped out of sight or something,” said Ann.

“Well, right. Olivia was on assignment and then in the hospital for a bit,” said Josh.

“Oh dear. Nothing too horrible, I hope,” said Ann.

“A minor-ish concussion, was the main thing,” said Josh. “And now restraining her from doing too much too soon.”

“Would it help if we came to visit? I think Eck and Joey would also like to see her again.”

“That’s why I called, hoping to invite you over for, I dunno, pizza or soup and bread or something simple,” said Josh.

“All of us at once could be overwhelming,” said Ann. “We’ll try to be… calm.”

“A valid concern, I’m sure, but I think O. is up for people again.”

So Friday night Eck rang the doorbell, and Josh showed them in. He accepted a platter of cheeses and crackers from Joey and a bottle of wine from Ann. “We figured a return to service party was a reason to splurge a little,” she explained, when Josh admired the label.

“Hello,” Olivia said. She was already seated in the living room when they arrived. “It’s nice to see you all again. Seems like ages and ages.”

“Most of a month, yeah,” said Eck. “I hear you’re recovering nicely…”

“I am kind of bored, just waiting for things to mend,” Olivia said. “Josh won’t allow me much entertainment.”

“I kind of sympathize with the caregiver role,” said Ann. “For the first year of grad school I was kind of the therapist for all the guys in our research group. Anytime anybody was having girl problems, I fixed them by getting in the way. Or something.”

“Which would be how we ended up together,” said Eck. “You helped Joey and me sort out our whatever this is. After listening with sympathy to my stumbling attempts at coming out.”

“It’s revolutionary,” said Joey. “We get to make up our own words.”

“And I have to wonder how people thought about themselves before there were words,” said Eck.

“Josh and I are partners, I guess,” said Olivia. “Which partner is which varies, depending.”

“It was a little soft shoe kind of a dance, talking to your Inspector in the hospital,” said Josh. “Jackson is is name. Like my, uh…”

“Deadname,” said Joey. “That’s what the cool kids are calling it now.”

“He was confused when I said ‘no relation’ after he introduced himself.”

“I’m inspired by you taking such good care of me,” said Olivia. “Even if it’s annoying that I can’t do as much as I’d like.”

On the couch, Eck and Joey each picked up one of Ann’s hands and held it, expressing similar sentiments.

“I have to wonder, talking to Josh and Olivia, if something’s lost in translation, what with all the new words we’re making up,” said Ann. “I mean, I business partnership could have three people in it, I guess? So that might work.”

“But the neighbor wants to know sometimes what business we’re in together,” said Olivia.

“Monkey business,” said Eck, and everyone laughed.

“You’re the Orangutan, I’m the Bonobo, Joey is the Chimpanzee,” said Ann.

“In this menagerie,” said Eck.

“I mean, it’s true, you, like, kinda…” said Joey to Ann. “Um, mediate, like.”

“The medium,” Josh suggested.

“So then we’re rare and well-done?” Eck suggested to Joey.

Ann watched all this go by, chuckling nervously. “Maybe Thing One, Two and Three,” she suggested.

“Or, you know, just use each other’s names.”

“This is my Joey,” said Ann. “I don’t think it’ll keep guys like Peter from hitting on me.”

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.