Sunday writing chat prompts for 1 Jan 2023

Home Forums Just the Place for a Snark Sunday writing chat prompts for 1 Jan 2023

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by Sue.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Broker
      Participant

The Sunday Brunch Prompted Writing Chat is an opportunity each week to test your skills at writing under pressure — or to have some fun without the need to be brilliant — or both!

The prompts are intended as both as a challenge and a starting point, open to creative interpretation. You can use these as an excuse to write anything that comes to mind, whether it’s fiction or creative non-fiction or a mixture of both. You can write a separate piece for each prompt, or try to link them all together in a single story.

If you join in the chat, you can add “an excuse to complain about unfair prompts” to the entertainment, too. But even if you can’t attend the chat session, feel free to give the prompts a try anyway (and leave your responses, comments, or complaints in this thread if you like).

This week’s prompts are posted below.

1. Use the following five words: heavy, fisherman, sin, inspector, justice. (10 min)

2. Use the phrase, “How much does this free stuff cost?” (10 min)

3. Write about brunch. (10 min)

Broker
      Participant

“I think pretty much everybody knows each other?” said Susie.

“Um,” said Webb.

“Oh,” said Susie. “Except… Webb and Skud are my housemates. In grey and multi-chrome, respectively.”

Becca was coming in from the kitchen, and held out a hand to Skud. “I’m Becca. We used to live next door to Sarah and Lia and their kids,” she said. “Jim’s my son; I gather he’ll be along shortly with his… menagerie, I almost said. Household.”

“We’ve been to Jim’s house for cookouts,” said Skud.

“Sounds plausible. This is my partner Stephan,” she added, before sitting down in his lap. He was occupying the only cushy chair in the living room.

“Pleasure,” said Stephan. “And, um…” He said, rearranging himself and Becca to a more comfortable position.

“They and them pronouns work for us,” Webb was telling Cris, in everyone’s hearing. There was some spark of recognition between the generations. Webb’s grey shirt was opened one button at a tine as the room warmed, revealing a striped tie-dye pride themed rainbow t-shirt underneath. Becca grinned.

When Jim’s household arrived at last, Miranda swept into the room. “And how is my sin-in-law?” Becca asked.

Miranda laughed. “Out-laws,” she said. “You know… Of course you know. We were in and out of your house all through our school years.”

“Welcome to the extended family,” said Becca.

“Like, hyperextended,” said Miranda.

Lia came out of the guest room, hair mussed, wiping sleep out of one eye with a knuckle. “Hi, everybody,” she said.

Mo was passing out wine, so she handed a glass to Lia in passing.

“Oh. Speaking of glasses, I have a pair here someplace.” She returned to the guest room, and came out with them on her face.

“Mama,” said Susie, vacating a chair. “Lia, these are my housemates, Skud and Webb.”

“Pronouns like they and them work,” Webb repeated, for Lia’s benefit.

“Kinda like Cris, then,” said Lia.

“Pronouns are free, and if you get them right, it helps,” said Susie.

“How much does this free stuff cost?” said Lia, with a smile. “In effort, not money. I’ll learn… sometime. In the meanwhile, pardon my age.”

“Is Lia around? It’s two o’clock,” said Sarah, coming from the kitchen.

“Right here, my love,” said Lia, and stood up again, following her one-time partner to the kitchen.

In a half hour or so the feast was ready, so they all moved into the dining room. “I’m sitting at the kids’ table,” Becca announced, and took a place at the card table in the corner.

“Sit next to somebody you didn’t come with,” said Mo.

Susie glanced at Miranda’s face, which seemed to be processing several possible meanings of that statement. There was that blushy thing going on in her sister’s face, and, having parsed Mo’s words again herself, it was on her own face as well.

“Right. Is it safe to sit next to you?” she asked. So they joined Lia and Becca at the small table.

“A bit late for brunch,” Sarah was saying from the head of the big table.

“Five hours’ cooking time before brunch would be…” aid Lia.

“Like working in a bakery,” said Susie. “I always liked waiting tables far into the evening better than getting up really early to bake stuff for the morning people.”

“So like Lupper, or Luncer or something,” said Miranda.

“You lost me,” said Susie.

“Me too,” said Becca.

“And I,” said Lia. “Usually I just let Miranda babble…”

“Trying to co-mangle lunch and dinner or lunch and supper,” said Miranda.

“She’s pretty good at getting her feet tangled up in her syntax,” Lia continued.

“I remember,” Becca laughed. “And then…”

“And then,” Miranda said, “Full stop.”

“Yes,” said Becca. “Sorry to bring it up.”

Miranda shrugged. “It’s part of being me,” she said. “Not to worry, as Jim likes to say.”

Sue
      Participant

I couldn’t wait for justice to be served. As we ate, Joel and Jon told me all they’d been able to discover from the paperwork Jon’s father had created for my father to sign had he not died in that accident.

Even without those proposed changes, there was a trust. I should have had more than enough to pay for university and a down payment on a house.

Affording Theo’s care should never have been called into question. Dad had created a trust for him, too. Plus, there was his life insurance. Jon was certain we’d both been named instead of my mother.

I was a minor, and Theo was incapacitated. She had full reign to do whatever she wanted to with the money.

The truth weighed heavy on my mind all day as I tried to mask my growing disgust at my mother’s rapidly accumulating sins. I must be a better actor than I thought, or she was so deep into her delusions that she couldn’t see me as I was.

When Jon came to the door, pretending to be a work associate, she wavered between welcoming him in as a colleague and chasing the strange man away from her young daughter. In the end, I’d just darted out past her and into the car.

When we were nearly done our meal, I asked. “So now what do we do?”

Jon was the first to reply. “I have a financial inspector slash analyst who you can authorize to go over the books to see exactly how much money was stolen from you and your brother. Like a fisherman, he’ll do a deep dive into her finances and then I’m certain we’ll find enough to go after her with criminal charges.”

“What do you need from me for authorization?”

Jon reached into his folder and handed me several forms to sign. “By the time we’re done, she’ll know how much all that free stuff she got by swindling you and Theo out of your inheritances really cost.”

“If you can make her go away, I will buy you brunch for a year.” I told him. “She has to be stopped. Aunt Trudy tried, but she couldn’t do it. She didn’t know Dad was getting ready to divorce my mother or about the trusts. It’s up to me to finish the job and protect Theo.”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.